Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 10:01:10 -0500
From:      Ray Seals <rayseals@midwestis.com>
To:        "'FreeBSD Questions'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   PPP problem with 2.2.7

I have a server that was running 2.2.2 and one night the server was turned
off (not shutdown properly).  Upon restart the server developed a problem
with the hard drive that fsck was unable to fix.  I decided to do a low
lever format on drive, which is an IDE drive.  I then installed 2.2.7 on
this machine.  2.2.7 installed without a hitch.

The function of this machine is to use ppp for dial out internet access for
a group.  Now the machine is back up and running but ppp doesn't work.
  When I start ppp it just hangs for about 2 minutes and then gives me the
prompt back.  My ppp startup line is "ppp -auto -alias htc.  htc is the ISP
that I use.

Ppp works when I take the network card out of the machine, but it hangs
when the card is there.  No hardware has been added removed or changed in
this machine since it ran 2.2.2.  I repeat NO hardware has changed.

I know that there were changes to ppp, but where they that huge?  I have
looked at the man page but I don't see a whole lot that's different.

Here is the run down on the machine:

486 DX/2 66
32 megs of memory
1.2 Gig Maxtor HD