Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 16:18:47 -0500
From:      "DCMC Customer Liaison" <bgy2452@lists.dcro.dla.mil>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Cable Modems

Does anyone have any experience with setting up FreeBSD to access a Cable
Modem?

The service desk told me that they had not focused on Unix and only had
software for Windows, 95 and NT.  He said he "heard" someone had
successfully written a script for Linux.  I'm in Columbus, Ohio and they are
using the Road Runner service on Warner Cable.  They'll negotiate using DHCP
and the IP is not yet static.

What would I have to do to get FreeBSD running?

p.s.  The current configuration only allows you to log on for eight hours,
then you have to/will be logged off and have to log back on.  They said a
warning pops up after seven hours.  So I figure I'll need a script to signon
and log off every six hours to avoid the warning messages.  The service desk
guy said he already wrote a script for Windows NT 4 workstation to keep him
online and it's worked for two months during beta testing.

---Mike