Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 22:41:13 -0800
From:      "Shan-Min Chao" <shanmin@lvdi.net>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Two net connections

Hi!
  I am a beginner at UNIX, so please bear with me as I ask
the following question:

I have FreeBSD 2.2.2 installed on my P166, and I have a
3C590 (or something like that) ethernet card and a US
Robotic 56K modem.  I have gotten to the point where I
can setup the ethernet card to work and the modem to
work, but not at the same time.  I have a modem dial-up
account with a local ISP, and a three computer LAN at
home.  I use fake IP addresses for the LAN at home, and
my ISP dynamically assigns theirs.  How can I set both the
modem and the ethernet to work concurrently?
    I know this is possible with Win95.  For example, I can have
 my ethernet card talk to the LAN while using the modem to
 talk to my ISP.I have also found that I can setup my computer
as some sort of a gateway so that computers on my LAN can
use my modem connection to the net.
    So, how would I go about setting both devices up to coexist?
Once that is setup, how can I go about setting up the "gateway".
If that is too complex a material to explain, where can I get some
reading material on it?

Thank you for taking your time to read this.  This problem probably
can a simple solution, but I am a beginner, so please tell it to me.
Thanks again!  I appreciate it.