Date:      Sat, 14 Oct 2000 19:04:18 -0700
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        <freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   MP Generic Kernel

I'm wondering if we can't include a generic MP kernel in the FreeBSD
releases.  Basically, on a fresh install of a dual cpu box, we find that we
have to compile the kernel and/or world on a single cpu the first time
through.  It seems a simple enough matter to include kernel.smp or something
to that effect in the standard ISO/CD release so that a knowledgable FreeBSD
user/admin could interrupt the boot process, and boot kernel.smp.  Perhaps
even the disk version could include a choice of a standard boot floppy or an
SMP boot floppy.  It's not as though releases are every other day, so it
doesn't seem that this would be all that great of a chore, and it would
allow those of us who admin alot of SMP boxes to save us a single cpu
buildworld.  The only reason I suggest this is that it is my understanding
that with the 4.1/4.1.1 releases one must buildworld before compiling
kernel.  On the older systems, one would simply compile an SMP kernel and
reboot and be up and running dual cpus for the buildworld.  Anyhow, just a
suggestion.