Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2001 20:26:46 -0600
From:      Jesse Granden <jgranden@tri-lakes.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   pthread_create problem on 4.4-STABLE w/ Custom Kernel

Hi,
I'm having a problem with pthread_create failing with a custom kernel
(problem doesn't happen with GENERIC).  If I use a null pthread_attr_t arg,
pthread_create returns EAGAIN. If feed it a pthread_attr_tag, then
lib/libc_r/uthread/uthread_create.c: pthread_create() panics.

After noising around in uthread_create(), it seems that at
line 143:
 /* Stack: */
if (mmap(stack, PTHREAD_STACK_DEFAULT,
             PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE, MAP_STACK,
             -1, 0) == MAP_FAILED) {
                   ret = EAGAIN;
                    free(new_thread);

mmap is consistantly failing (returing ENOMEM).
when I use a custom stacksize, then the malloc succeeds, however, the
gc_thread creation fails (because it calls pthread_create using defaults).

What options could I change in the kernel conf file that would break all my
pthread using programs?
suggestions? sources were cvsup'd today....
respond in email also please...

Thanks in advance
Jesse Granden
jgranden@tri-lakes.net

/*XXX -Hack to deal with nothing witty to say */
-"Witty!"-