Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2014 16:59:44 -0400
From:      Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SYM8951U sees ch0 but not sa0

On 2014-03-28 04:46 PM, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Am 28.03.2014 19:58, schrieb Dan Langille:
>> I have installed a Symbios Ultra2 32-bit PCI SCSI Adapter SYM8951U in
>> my
>> FreeBSD 9.2 system.  Attached to it is a Compaq StorageWorks MSL5026
>> tape library.  I have never used this library before, but it was given
>> to me by someone who did use it.  It worked at one time.
>>
>> The system sees the changer, but not the drive.  I've tried swapping
>> the
>> SCSI cable and the LVD/SE terminator on the tape library ports.  Same
>> result.  After each cable retry, I run 'camcontrol rescan all'.
>>
>> [dan@knew:/dev] $ ls *sa* *ch*
>> ls: *sa*: No such file or directory
>> ch0
>> [dan@knew:/dev] $
>>
>> Any ideas?  Suggestions?  Card settings?
>>
>> I conclude the cable is OK, given that I can get a list of the tapes
>> in
>> the library.
>>
>> The front panel of the library sees the tape drive.  It has a SCSI ID
>> assigned.
>
> I haven't much experience with multi-LUN devices, nor tape libraries,
> but OTOH I haven't had issues with Symbios (NCR, LSI) controllers +
> bare
> tape drives so far [*]
>
> - Is that drive's ID a separate target ID, or is it a LUN?
>   + If it's a LUN, is it <= 7?
>   + If it's a LUN, do the SYMBIOS settings permit scanning for LUNs at
> all? (Although it's not entirely clear to me from sym(4) if rescan
> would
> scan LUNs.)

I do not know, but I will check when I am next at the tape library.  I
wonder if that's a configuration item.

FWIW, the previous owner of this tape library was not running FreeBSD,
I'm sure.

> - Does camcontrol reportluns help any?

$ sudo camcontrol reportluns 7:3:0
1 LUN found
0

> - Can you have the host adaptor's BIOS scan the BUS and report devices
> and LUNs and see if that differs from FreeBSD's view of the world?

I did that the first time I booted the system.  It may have been without
the terminators attached.  I photographed the console screen at the time
  The host adaptor's BIOS shows only the MSL5000, then, while booting,
the Symbios displayed the MSL5000 as ID 3 and the card as ID 7.

> [*] One exception though: Tekram DC-390U were using the Ultra+Wide
> 53C875 chip but an 8-bit connector and used to cause hitches when
> connecting UW devies, at least with older drivers.  I forgot if I ever
> checked whether this was ever fixed...

It's knowledge like that which makes group lists so valuable.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/