Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2018 13:34:36 -0400
From:      Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Realtek re(4) driver

--yBp3oDMkBl3y2uwa2ZFKcSsMY4CYm7JgO
From: Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To: freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org

--ixyI2VglhJV56xSMmShiSj8CMqDMiBCyM

On 2018-04-10 18:50, Dieter BSD wrote:
> Multiple people have found that FreeBSD's re(4) driver for Realtek
> Ethernet chips has problems.  Something like a rcp(1) with another
> FreeBSD box merely runs slower due to the stalls, but if the other end
> has buggy network code and/or if the transfer is forced to use UDP
> (Unreliable Data Protocol) data is lost.  :-(
>=20
> Rumor has it that Realtek has a driver that works properly with FreeBSD=
=2E
>=20
> FreeBSD's developers are apparently unable to:
> a) Fix the existing FreeBSD re(4) device driver so that it works correc=
tly.
> b) Replace the existing FreeBSD re(4) device driver with Realtek's driv=
er.
> c) Make Realtek's driver into a port/pkg.
> d) At least add a warning to the re(4) man page, with the URL for
>    Realtek's driver.
>=20
> Therefore every user with Realtek Ethernet chips are forced to somehow
> discover that Realtek has a working driver, then somehow obtain a copy
> of this mythical driver, get it to compile and build a custom kernel.
> They then need to write a test suite and verify that Realtek's driver
> does in fact work properly for their applications.
>=20
> I am currently suffering data loss due to this.  Therefore I am
> attempting to obtain a copy of the mythical Realtek device driver.
> I managed to find
>=20
>> http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=3D4&PNid=
=3D13&PFid=3D5&Level=3D5&Conn=3D4&DownTypeID=3D3&GetDown=3Dfalse
>=20
> But it does not work for me.  It has a listing for
>=20
>> Description         Version Update Time File Size Download Site 1
>> FreeBSD 7.x and 8.0 1.94    2017/9/15   93k       Global
>=20
> The machine with the re ports is running 10.3, hopefully the 7&8 code
> will compile and work on 10.  But the real problem is that clicking on
> "Global" does not work.  Some browsers do nothing.  Firefox creates
> a new window with http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/
> which is going backwards.  I was expecting something like a tar file
> containing the source code.
>=20
> I also tried google, and emailing a FreeBSD user that runs the Realtek
> driver, but both pointed me to the above non-working URL.  I'm
> told that seamonkey works, but...
>=20
> So my question is: could someone please tell me the URL that points
> *directly* to the mythical Realtek device driver?  (without
> the broken javascheist garbage)
rg"
>=20

I think it would be useful to collect the 'pciconf -lv' output of the
re(4) devices that have issues, so they can be differentiated from the
ones that work fine.

This would be the first step to getting a developer setup with a
reliable reproduction platform, so the bug could be tracked down.

--=20
Allan Jude