Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 2002 06:43:23 -0700
From:      "bowen" <b0w3n@attbi.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   setting up firewall/gateway

Before everyone yells at me ,) I'm a newbie and I have bought two books to
learn freebsd but, I'm still really confused on hoe to setup a stand alone
computer to do three things.

1: act as a firewall for the rest of my internel network

2: act as a gateway for my lan

3 somehow provide transparent web proxy and filtering using dansguardian for
my childrens computers

I have a pentium 233 w/64MB/s of ram and a 4 gig hard drive and two 3com
nics right now I use smoothwall as all of the above but I can't install
dansguardian on smoothwall GPL
which is OK I have problems with smoothwall actually forwarding ports to my
freebsd-4.7-REALEASE which is home to my APACHE and DJBdns ,)

The two books btw are Absolute BSD by Michael Lucus, and The Complete
FreeBSD by Greg Lehey 3rd edition I've been studying the networking section
in the The Complete FreeBSD

Anyway I was wondering if Building Linux and Openbsd Firewalls by  Wes
Sonnenreich is the book I need to learn how to do this?
Also is there any good how-to's for extreme newbies on how to do the above
without going bald? ,)

Well again thank you and thank you in advance for any help.

Rick Tuttle