Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 22:21:27 +0100
From:      "Leif Neland" <leifn@neland.dk>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>, <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 19160 SCSI controller configuration error: 02

----- Original Message -----
From: "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To: "Leif Neland" <leifn@neland.dk>; <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 7:39 PM

> > This might be OT, because I haven't even found the HD's yet, so I
haven't
> > installed FreeBSD on it.
> >
> > I'm building a new machine with an Adaptec 19160 scsi controller.
> >
> > When I boot without cables, I get no errors.
> >
> > When I boot with the 68-wire cable with terminator in the end, I get the
> > message
> >
> > Scsi controller configuration error: 02 (Both with and without disks)
> >
> > Note, it is not "Adaptec SCSI controller errorcode 02", men "SCSI
controller
> > configuration error: 02"
>
> You probably need a device on the channel in order for the cable
> detection to work.  If cable detection fails, this will look like
> an overterminated configuration to the card.

Thanks for your answer.

To be honest, the adapter was supposed to be used in a Linux mail server.
But, to quote adaptec: http://shor.ter.dk/827735964

"The Adaptec SCSI Card 19160 was designed for use under Microsoft desktop
operating systems only.

There are no Linux drivers available for the Adaptec SCSI Card 19160. "

So the adapter fails on two points: It is not to be used with Microsoft, but
linux, and the server is not on a desktop, but in a rack :-)

So it must be returned.

Leif