Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 2016 12:36:44 +0200
From:      Dan Partelly <dan_partelly@rdsor.ro>
To:        Peter Beckman <beckman@angryox.com>
Cc:        Dmitry Sivachenko <trtrmitya@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups@ntlworld.com>, Mark Heily <mark@heily.com>
Subject:   Re: relaunchd: a portable clone of launchd

Copying the linux way of doing things should not be a goal of the BSDs. =
It is enough that unfortunately we are forced
into Linuxisms  and associated wrappers to support  modern GPUs.  =
Understandable , given how few ppl work on BSDs,
and how little code contributions do the BSDs receive from the massive =
enterprises they power (with=20
some notable exceptions) Let me use this opportunity to thank Juniper =
for the glorified printf system=20
they contributed to FreeBSD .=20

Can the BSDs go forward with rc systems alone ? Sure they can , at least =
for the time beeing, and we will=20
continue to use them. But innovation is desirable.=20

Systemd might be a terrible implementation or not (I dont know, I dont =
use it)   but the ideas behind it are sane.=20

rc systems are indeed robust, but they should be ancient history. They =
are nothing but glorified autoexec.bat systems.
Modern OSes need sophisticated dynamic service management systems, fault =
management, transactional OS
 configuration databases, centralised event systems supporting kernel =
sources.=20

This is the problem domain things like sytemd and dbus are tring to =
solve. They might doit the wrong way, I personally think
the direction Solaris took to solve some of those problems is the way to =
go, but at least they are trying to do something, and=20
they clearly explored the problem space.

Meanwhile here, some engineers are trying to change the FreeBSD OS =
configuration to a new DSL, but without any consideration for
issues of centralising OS databases and add innovation like transactions =
and full concurrency safety.=20

YOu gotta ask yourself, since it is only a language change, why even =
doit ????? It adds no technical innovations, the new=20
systems are  not well enough thought  out to support technical =
innovation added incrementally later. So why are they doing it ?
To change the DSL only ? By now all BSDs user are familiar with all =
adhoc databases  the OS offer. We are familiar (experts, even) with=20
the language they use.  Changing this language , when no technical =
innovation is present, is , in my opinion, ill-advised.=20

It is change for the sake of change, it is change because =E2=80=9Csomeone=
 wrote the code=E2=80=9D, not because it solves any real problem , or is =
a well
 thought out engineering solution.  I really hope someone from the =
developers wakes up and vetoes those changes for the sake of change,
like Junipers libxo, and attemtps to change the DSLs for the sake of =
changing the DSL.

> On 08 Jan 2016, at 17:20, Peter Beckman <beckman@angryox.com> wrote:
>=20
> On Thu, 7 Jan 2016, Dmitry Sivachenko wrote:
>=20
>>=20
>>> On 07 Jan 2016, at 05:12, Mark Heily <mark@heily.com> wrote:
>>>=20
http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/debian-systemd-p=
ackaging-hoo-hah.html
Linux to
>>>=20
>>> I strongly disagree with your recommendation to adopt DBus and =
systemd
>>> as core components of FreeBSD.
>>>=20
>>> =46rom a practical perspective, the proposal has a low probability =
of
>>> success. Systemd is written for Linux and is largely driven by a
>>> commercial Linux vendor. It is a rapidly moving target, with no =
sense
>>> of scope or boundaries. It eagerly consumes the latest and greatest
>>> innovations in the Linux kernel, with open disdain for portability.
>>>=20
>>> =46rom a philosophical perspective, I don't agree with the direction
>>> that systemd is taking Linux. It's one of the reasons I switched to
>>> BSD after many years in the Linux camp. To quote Spock, "Logic =
clearly
>>> dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few". =
In
>>> case of FreeBSD, this means that the needs of the desktop users =
should
>>> not outweigh the needs of the server/jail/embedded/appliance users. =
My
>>> concern with systemd and DBus is that these tools are highly
>>> desktop-centric, and introduce a large degree of unwanted change,
>>> complexity, and risk to everyone else.
>>=20
>>=20
>> I totally agree.
>>=20
>> systemd is an ugly beast, solving simple problem in complex way.
>>=20
>> After using FreeBSD's rc system for years, I think that switching to =
something systemd-related would be huge mistake.
-
> Peter Beckman                                                  =
Internet Guy
          http://www.angryox.com/ <http://www.angryox.com/>;