Date:      Tue, 9 Dec 2003 08:14:41 -0600
From:      David Leimbach <leimy2k@mac.com>
To:        Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: starting fresh

On Dec 9, 2003, at 4:01 AM, Peter Grehan wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
>> This kernel doesn't boot.  When I set currdev=cd:. I get a little
>> closer
>> but then the loader complains that it can't load 'kernel'
>> no bootable kernel.
>
>  I just built a fresh CD with the latest loader/kernel, and it
> works OK on my eMac. So,

I am starting to think its the tool I used to build the CD.  I can boot
from
the image but I can't figure out why the loader can't load it.

I used Mac OS X's hdiutil makehybrid to build an image

>  From the OpenFirmware prompt, can you do a directory of /boot/kernel/
> ?
> i.e.
>
> 0 > dir cd:,\boot\kernel\
> 3447548 12/ 9/ 3 19: 4:40 kernel ok

I get
      57344 10/24/ 3 8:58:33 kernel
3447548  10/24/ 3 9: 3:26 kernel.syscons ok
0 >

>  Then, it should be able to be seen from the loader prompt:
>
> OK ls -l /boot/kernel
> /boot/kernel
>     3447548 kernel
>
> > I still get tons of method <seek> not found errors...
>
>  This can be avoided with the new loader by specifying currdev as
> the first parameter e.g.
>
> 0 > boot cd:,\boot\loader cd:,

can't load 'kernel'

Don't know... Perhaps I will make a tar of my CD layout and build the
ISO on a DragonFly or Linux
box and move it back to the Mac where my only burner is.

Dave