Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 22:48:33 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org, harsha godavari <h.godavari@shaw.ca>
Subject:   Re: Release 4.5 and 4.6 - Boot.flp 2.8 mb?

7/17/2002 10:00:45 PM, harsha godavari <h.godavari@shaw.ca> wrote:

>Jud wrote:
>>

>> >Simon:
>> >       I prepared both kern.flp & mfsroot.flp. When i tried to format
>> >one of those  into a DOS bootdisk, it was formatted but without the
>> >system files. Scandisk showed sectors marked "bad". The disk was
>> >unbootable. Is there anyway that that disk can be cleaned up?
>> >
>> >Regards
>> >Harsha Godavari
>>
>> Whoa there, Harsha - kern.flp and mfsroot.flp will take care of
booting
>> your machine into a FreeBSD installation all by themselves.  No DOS
>> boot disk required.  (Yes, operating systems other than Windows -
>> FreeBSD, Linux, etc. - can boot your computer.:)  Just two freshly
>> formatted *empty* disks are required on which to image (with the
>> fdimage utility) kern.flp and mfsroot.flp.
>>
>> Jud

>Jud:
>    I was done with booting the system with kern.flp & mfsboot.flp.
>After that I needed a DOS bootdisk in a hurry and not having any
spare
>disks (at that location) I tried to make up a DOS disk from one of the
>*.flp disks. Thats when I discovered that the new disk I just used for
>the second time (it was a DOS bootdisk, the first time) has developed
>"bad sectors".
>
>I am really curious to know if DOS format command cannot really
>reformate the boot sector of BSD boot code. If so is there a program
>that can revert the disk to its pristine state :-)
>
>This is really an intellectual curiosity rather than trying to save a
>10cent floppy.
>
>Regards
>Harsha Godavari

Hi, Harsha.  Please try to post below, rather than above, the msg to
which you're replying.

Sorry, if you mentioned that you'd unsuccessfully tried to format the
floppies I missed it.  I don't have any particular expertise in this area.  If
you've unsuccessfully tried formatting them in DOS and/or Win, then
perhaps the FreeBSD dd command might work to write all zeroes to
them, but I don't know the proper syntax.

Jud