Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2005 18:19:32 +0200
From:      <lordbad@developer.bg>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Sound issues

Hello!

I'm have been using FreeBSD 5.3 since the day it was officially =
released, altough I had little experience with Unix-based OS before it. =
I have found that the enviroment provided by FreeBSD is perfect for my =
work, but I'm trying to get decent multimedia experience either. So to =
the point - I have the Epox 8RDA+ Pro mainboard with the following =
onboard audio : 6-CH audio from onboard RealTek ALC65x AC'97 v2.3 =
compliant CODEC. I'm currently using the ich_snd driver. I get sound via =
it, but it is far from being good, not to mention perfect... With the =
stereo output I'm fine, I can live without the surround capabilities of =
the card. But only if the quality of the stereo playback was good - and =
belive me - it isn't. The basses are awful and it is not caused by some =
mixer settings, of that I'm certain. If fact the basses are almost =
missing and the high frequences heavily distorted. I heard that the =
opensound driver can help but it does not recognize my audio... So I'm =
asking is there someone using sound device same as mine while getting =
decent output or should I buy some high quality sound card such as =
Audigy 2 for which I know there are some nice drivers. And one more =
question regarding the sound - if I get an Audigy 2 sound card will I =
get the 6.1 surround or I will still be stuck with stereo.

I thank you in advance for your responses.

Best Regards,

Bozhidar Batsov, a devoted open-source enforcer and FreeBSD lover :)