Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 2008 00:53:15 +0100
From:      Hywel Mallett <hywel@hmallett.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Filesystem replication geom proposal

FreeBSD doesn't have a defined method of replicating data between two
servers, for HA/DR purposes, similar to Veritas Volume Replicator.
Linux has DRDB (http://www.drbd.org/) which isn't quite the same, and
someone has tried using gmirror and ggate to have a mirror across teo
systems, but neither of those can cope well with a disconnected
network, or a slow network link.
I was wondering if there would be any interest in creating a new geom
provider to solve this problem. I can see that questions about this
functionality have been asked on the mailing lists before, and I've
drawn up some initial thoughts aand ideas at http://www.hmallett.co.uk/computing-mainmenu-49/72-computing/124-open-source-replicated-filesystems.html

Hywel Mallett