Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 2004 22:43:54 -0500
From:      "Will Saxon" <WillS@housing.ufl.edu>
To:        "Adriaan de Groot" <adridg@cs.kun.nl>, <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Michael J. Pelletier" <mjpelletier@mjpelletier.com>
Subject:   RE: AMD64 support in 5.x versions

I downloaded the 5.2-RC2 AMD64 miniinst ISO to try on a MSI K8T800 based =
dual opteron system today. I found that the system panicked when I used =
ACPI, and without ACPI the onboard broadcom ethernet is not initialized =
correctly (something about return type/code of 6 I believe). This may or =
may not be AMD64 related.

It does boot multi user w/o acpi on my system, I can log in and do some =
things, but without network support I was not able to do much since I =
had no packages or port installation capability.

I plan to give it another try after -RELEASE and spend more time with =
it. Right now I am slogging through a "why did I let them convince me to =
use 'stage 1'" gentoo x86_64 install. I'm sure linux will work well for =
me on this system but after several years of FreeBSD use Linux feels =
like a wet pair of socks...yuck...

-Will