Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 22:26:56 -0700
From:      Jason DiCioccio <jd@bluenugget.net>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fwd: NOSUID and NOSUID_prog make knobs

Granularity is wanted, at least by me and others I have spoken to.  I
don't know if it is best to clutter make.conf or if there is a better
place, or a new place, that these knobs could be placed.  However, if
you're going to provide the flexibility I would think you should go all
the way with it.  Perhaps provide some canned sets, and/or the ability
to make 'groups' of binaries in the configuration but there definitely
has to be the ability to configure it to the level of individual
binaries.

IMHO :)

Cheers,
-JD-

On Wednesday, April 24, 2002, at 08:17 PM, Johan Karlsson wrote:

> In the discussion on -security I got the impression that the
> granularity is wanted.
>
> There are currently 29 suid and 14 sgid bits set it Makefile:s
> that would be effected by this.
> Some of them make sence to group togather e.g. lpr, ping, etc
>
> I think it just makes more sence to provide all of them
> (some grouped) than to only have 1 knob for all of them.
>
> /Johan K
>
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 19:17 (-0700) +0000, David O'Brien wrote:
>>
>> Either do them all, or none.  This flag per binary does not scale, nor
>> do
>> I see any significant portion of our userbase utilizing the
>> granularity.

----
Useless .sig