Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 2003 04:42:32 +0107 (CEST)
From:      "Frans-Jan v. Steenbeek" <FST777@phreaker.net>
To:        Lal Manavado <manavado@frisurf.no>, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT Humble Pie (was hardw words)

Maybe some Norwegian members of the list can speak English on a high level,
maybe even higher than "native" english-speakers, but some Dutchmen on the
list (at least one of them, namely me) cannot follow everything of this
story. Allthough I did get the major part of it, I wonder why such
complicated language is needed. I understand the humor behind it, but I'd
like to say to all of you: SPEAK NORMAL ENGLISH. (no offense :) )

Sometimes I even find the manuals too complicated. Open-Source-fighters
should write all their text (especially their manuals) in understandable
english for the "other part" of the community. That's what came up in my
mind while reading this.

Speaking of the debate here held: I must agree with mr. Clark. Allthough I
like the style and attitude of mr. Manavado (sounds like an "ancient"
behaviour in the Metal-scene) it is clear that no-one should expect from a
non-native english-speaking newbie in the BSD-community to talk
"Queens-english". At least I am refusing to do so.

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003, Lal Manavado wrote:
> Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 09:37:58 -0800
> To: <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
> From: "Lal Manavado" <manavado@frisurf.no>
> Subject: Re: OT Humble Pie (was hardw words)
>
> As for English not being the first language of many a user, it only
> hightens
> the cogency of our point; namely,  a sound knowledge of English would be
> of
> considerable help. There is no logical reason why someone whose second or
> third tongue is English cannot surpass the so-called native speakers,
> some
> of whom  merely emit sounds, which they fondly believe to be English.
>
> Hail to thee!
>
> L. M.

May the blessings of our Emperor be with thee to the end of all ages!

Fi-Ji