Date:      Sun, 29 Jan 2017 20:26:27 -0500
From:      "John W. O'Brien" <john@saltant.com>
To:        FreeBSD Python List <freebsd-python@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Proposal: default to concurrent

--bd4dW7hgmsShHLEAgu0brLJxDWFop6dNl
From: "John W. O'Brien" <john@saltant.com>
To: FreeBSD Python List <freebsd-python@freebsd.org>

--DP9TvON5jkRNhN1tiplNXIeG8cb1stn4J

Thank you for your input.

On 1/29/17 19:50, Roland Smith wrote:
[...]
> There also seems to be a trend of separate py3-* ports. This is sometim=
es a
> much better solution than trying to make a single port support python 2=
 and 3.

If I am not mistaken, the purpose of the py3-* ports is mainly to
deliver some python3 support via the default build and thence the
official pkg repository. As a convenience for those of who build our own
ports, it also enables 2+3 support within a single build instead of
having to coordinate multiple builds and maintain multiple repositories.

Sadly, I don't see how it would address this pain point. Even with
py-SPAM and py3-SPAM, or py2-SPAM and py-SPAM, concurrent *installation*
still requires that the intersection of plists is the empty set.
Furthermore, concurrent installation is useful for multiple minor
versions of python3, not just python2.7 plus python3.x.

-J