Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 2016 22:26:02 +1100
From:      Aristedes Maniatis <ari@ish.com.au>
To:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-jail <freebsd-jail@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Jail management

--QV4vnOEE2DruVug8s4bvnha6RXhU9n75K

On 22/02/2016 9:56pm, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> I don't know your environment and your FreeBSD jails skills but it seem=
s you think jails are something complex and "magic". It is not.
=2E..
> Just don't be afraid of writing simple shell scripts :)

You are right, and perhaps I should just bite the bullet. I am afraid of =
only two things.

* upgrade the basejail with FreeBSD upgrades. I am sure this is a simple =
bit of chroot magic, but freebsd-update is a bit of a black box to me.

* nullfs. I've never used it before and need to play with it more

As for shell scripts: my only goal in life is to write *fewer* shell scri=
pts. My adoption of saltstack was spurred by shell everywhere, mostly not=
 under version control. So less shell and more python centrally managed a=
nd versioned is my dream.

> For your problem with installing old versions of packages - I think you=
 are still able to install whatever version you need if you have it local=
ly on disk. Then you can use "pkg install my-package-1.2.3.txz"
> (you need all dependencies as well)

I think 'pkg add' is needed there, but dependencies are very complicated =
to make work in this way. And I need a new package distribution model not=
 based on the standard repo that poudriere makes. Which is why I started =
this whole exploration.

Thanks for your ideas. I should be less afraid of letting go of the jail =
management tools.

Ari

--=20
Aristedes Maniatis
ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001