Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 1997 02:02:48 -0500
From:      "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More on bad dir panics

At 09:48 PM 2/25/97 -0500, Thomas David Rivers wrote:
>	o) Running fsck once isn't enough to restore a file system to
>		a semi-usuable state; if you fsck it once, try again,
>		you'll sometimes notice more corrections.

Don't some fscks repeat the check (or parts of it) if they find errors?
Because it's not terribly uncommon (in my experience) for one fsck to
not correct all the errors on a disk (on some of the Unixes I've used --
I've never fsck'd a FreeBSD box).

Would looping until a clean check be a bad idea? With some timeout value,
to prevent from fscking eternally? Say, 5-10 times then die?

Would this be a useful addition?
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Junior, Comp. Sci.     -   House of Retrocomputing
XCOMM  mailto:kpneal@pobox.com              -   http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/