Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 15:03:04 -0400
From:      "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com>
To:        jbryant@tfs.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: On Holy Wars, and a Plea for Peace [sorry Danny, wherever you are, but the title fits]...

At 09:14 PM 4/15/97 -0500, Jim Bryant wrote:
>5). university library sales...  get new compugeeks running it...  our
>universities are not exectly teaching operatings systems like they used
>to to today's "Clueless" HS grads...

Hear hear!

Even better: give the CDs away.

Red Hat came out with 4.0, then 4.1 in short order. They then had the 4.0
CDs laying around doing nothing.

The solution? Well, they donated the 4.0 stock to NCSU's Comp Sci department.

This was a month ago. The CDs are gone now.

I was hoping to see if something like this could be arranged in the Fall,
say 3-4 weeks into the semester. Give everyone time to move in, then make
FreeBSD CDs available cheap. Might get a few converts.

Then again, to make that worthwhile you have to support "crap" hardware.
IDE CD-ROMS, Packard Bell, Gateway 2000, etc.

Something to think about.
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Junior, Comp. Sci.     -   House of Retrocomputing
XCOMM  mailto:kpneal@pobox.com              -   http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/