Date:      Tue, 09 Oct 2001 23:40:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>, "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Use of the UNIX Trademark

Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> wrote:

> There's currently a huge argument over software patents, ie: patentable
> algorithims.

<snip>

I seem to undertstand that the law applying to software is different in
Europe, ie copyright-oriented (Europe) rather than patent-oriented (USA).

The patent question perplexes me, probably because I have a very limited
understanding/knowledge of its issues and niceties.

<exercise type="wild imagination">

For one moment, suppose that the principle of algorithm patentability came
true to the fullest extent.  [the choice of "come true" is NOT coincidental
;-)]

The next day, I would wake up and patent the algorithm solving 2nd degree
algebraic equations.

I chose a trivial example just for the sake of simplicity.  You could
substitute algorithms/theorems on [differential or algebraic] equations;
numerical analysis/calculus algorithms (eg Runge-Kutta methods); etc. etc.
etc.  By the way, the discussion is not purely theoretical: think eg of CRC
polynomials...

Next, I would write a program in BEEEE_sick solving 2nd degree algebraic
equations.  A month later, you would chance to write another such program,
without any prior knowledge of my patent(s) or even my program(s).

Finally, I would sue you for two patent infringements: the algorithm and the
program.  Rich lawsuits. :-))

Alternatively, you would have to pay [$$$]$$$ each and every time you made use
of the aforementioned algorithm.  Hmm, that would sound like quick and steady
progress for the whole field of studies and/or applications. :-)

</exercise>

I may be missing something, er, quite a lot of things, but such scenarios make
little to no sense (to me) -- however
subtle/clever/precise/interesting/rigorous/etc may be, computationally
speaking, the chosen definition of algorithm complexity and/or ahem
"originality".

Incidentally -- it's just my impression, mind you -- I would say this kind of
law, in the long run, might be very harmful to software industry itself.

Then again, I may be completely wrong about the whole matter.

-- Salvo