Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 2015 07:17:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jordanhubbard@icloud.com>
Cc:        Rakshith Venkatesh <vrock28@gmail.com>, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CEPH + FreeBSD

Jordan Hubbard wrote:
>=20
> > On Sep 2, 2015, at 10:44 PM, Rakshith Venkatesh <vrock28@gmail.com> wro=
te:
> >=20
> > Thanks for the reply Mike. Yeah, i think its time for Ceph folks to tak=
> > this up.
>=20
> Not to rain on your parade, but the last time I checked, there was no
> interest on that side.  Their needs are adequately served by Linux, and I
> got the feeling that they felt more than a little burned by the drive-by
> FreeBSD port that never actually produced a working FreeBSD port but did
> cruft their code up with lots of pointless #ifdef BSD constructs.
>=20
> If you or anyone else really wants to move that ball forward, you=E2=80=
=99re going to
> have to volunteer to do the port yourself and also agree to maintain it f=
or,
> I dunno, at least 20 years so they don=E2=80=99t feel like they=E2=80=99r=
e getting into that
> same situation again. :-)
>=20
Slightly off topic but, btw, there is a port of GLusterFS and those folks d=
o seem
interested in seeing it brought "up to speed". I am not sure how mature it =
is at
this point, but it has been known to build on amd64. (I don't have an amd64=
 machine,
so I haven't gotten around to building/testing it, but I do plan to try and=
 use
it as a basis for a pNFS server, if I can figure out how to get the FH info=
 out of it.
I'm working on that;-)

rick