Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2001 00:33:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Elden Fenison <moon_dog@spamcop.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Religions (was Re: helping victims of terror)

Terry Lambert wrote:

> Elden Fenison wrote:
>> This is simply false. Christianity teaches that the Bible is 100%
>> God-inspired truth. This "modernized" Christianity you speak of is not
>> Christianity at all.

> I think perhaps you are confusing Christians and Bibliots.

<snip>

The Bible as a whole is considered a collection of inspired books; the
development, or changes (esp. from OT to NT) being seen as subsequent moments
of God's Word.

Otherwise stated, God chose to say different things at different historical
times -- or according to different historical times, if you prefer.  However,
scholars recognize, as it were, an _organic_ design (or divine perspective, if
you like) underlying the whole Bible.  That's "interpretation".

By the way, the _striking universality_ of the NT should set you thinking --
whether you are an atheist or not.

It is immaterial that a number of people (eg certain popes) have used the
Bible and religion at large to achieve their goals.  Inter alia, it is
written: _Nolite possidere_...(!)

I am not sure whether the same could be said of the Koran.  Recently, I have
spoken with a few historians of religion, among others.  I was explicitly told
that the "organic design" contained in the Koran is one of the worst forms of
_totalitarianism_.  In particular, the "moderate" parts in the Koran are only
a means to an end.

I have been revising a number of things lately.  My history textbooks -- I
live in Italy -- simply described the splendid Islamic civilization in the
Mediterranean (well, in Spain and especially in Sicily), as well as its
far-reaching cultural influence on Western thought.

They were deliberately lying: a few ahem "minor" aspects (eg earlier
massacres) were "omitted" or hinted at.  Moreover, that's just _one part_ of
the story: the western part.  The _eastern_ part of the story is horrible to
say the least.

I now gather that, at a doctrinal level, there exists no "moderate" Islam at
all.  Of course, strong political reasons make all western political leaders
speak of ahem "moderate Islam".  Alas, you know... veritas parit odium.

-- Salvo