Date:      09 May 2002 14:17:55 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        "Mr. Mark Murray" <mark@grondar.za>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The future of perl on FreeBSD

On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 14:54, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za> writes:
> > I'll leave this one entirely to you. When I nuke perl, you step in
> > and commit this. OK?
>
> OK :)

Does having this redirector serve any useful purpose? It's an extra
piece of code to maintain, it's an extra potential security risk, it's
an extra source of potential confusion to the Perl user if there's a bug
in it, and I can't see any useful purpose in it existing.

Either /usr/bin/perl is there or it isn't, we don't need a fancy
redirector to tell us it's not installed.

A symlink is a much more sensible solution to this problem and a
redirector just seems to be creating a toy for the fun of it rather than
to solve any real problem.

--
Paul Richards                   |  FreeBSD DVD releases and merchandise.
FreeBSD Services Ltd            |  Hardware, support and development.