Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 2002 11:14:46 -0400
From:      "Jud" <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        justsovanilla@yahoo.co.in
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re: Re: Installing on a logical DOS partition

-----Original Message-----
From: "Piyush" <justsovanilla@yahoo.co.in>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Jud" <jud@myrealbox.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 20:31:59 +0530

It amounts to exactly the same thing - when the
installation is done you'll have a FreeBSD "slice"
where the DOS "partition" was.  You'll be shown
a screen during the installation that lists the
partitions (Windows language) or slices (FreeBSD
language) on your machine, which will show an area
on the disk being used for DOS.  First delete the
DOS partition, then create a FreeBSD slice in the
emptied space (it's very quick and simple).  Then
proceed with the rest of the installation.

Jud

The program shows the primary dos partition and extended dos partition but
not any logical partitions under the extended partition......the logical
partition on which I wish to install Fbsd is the last one.......if I delete
a 'slice' of a particular size will fbsd delete any other partitions?
Thanx.......
Piyush

Hi, Piyush.  You may have read my next response by=20
now, where I said my answer above may have steered=20
you wrong - or perhaps you deleted it, thinking it=20
was a duplicate.

Anyhow, since the FreeBSD install program is not=20
showing the DOS logical partition, then deleting=20
it is definitely *NOT* a good idea - it'll probably=20
hose whatever else you have on your machine.

I can think of two alternatives.  (There may well be=20
others.)  The first is to delete the DOS logical=20
partition either with DOS fdisk or with a utility=20
such as Partition Magic or the (cheaper and IMO=20
excellent) BootitNG from TeraByte Unlimited.  Then=20
using the partitioning utility, resize the extended=20
partition to leave room for your FreeBSD install.

The second alternative might work if you have Linux=20
handy and it groks Windows logical and extended=20
partitions (I don't know anything about Linux).  Try=20
deleting the DOS partition, changing it to a
Linux partition, and see if FreeBSD understands it.
If it does, install there.

Jud