Date:      03 Sep 2002 19:41:34 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Rationale for Mozilla names in ports

OK, I am trying to work out what exactly the rationale was for the
sudden appearance of the misnamed mozilla-devel.  The only reason I can
come up with is to support Galeon, which is insufficient reason for
breaking the chain of mozilla.org supported releases.

If you need to continue to support Galeon until those developers catch
up with mozilla.org, then you need to change the Galeon port to depend
on a newly-created mozilla10 port, allowing the mozilla port to continue
to track mozilla.org official releases.

mozilla-devel is completely meaningless in the context of mozilla.org
supported releases unless you intend to spend the time tracking *beta*
or *alpha* releases.  If no one steps up to the plate to track such
releases, then the mozilla port *should* track the mozilla.org official
releases.

Please explain why I should break the natural compatability of the
mozilla port with *official* mozilla.org releases with this
mozilla-devel misnomer.  I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

/Joe