Date:      26 Sep 2002 21:26:00 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adam@vectors.cx>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gconfd-1 and gnome2, and the faq

On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 07:16, Adam Weinberger wrote:
> SUP.
>
> so, gnome2 apps will not run if gconfd-1 is running. plain and simple,
> they fail every time with:
>
> 	a) a popup box that says:
> 		An error occurred while loading or saving configuration
> 		information for <whatever program>. Some of your configuration
> 		settings may not work properly.
>
> 	b) stderr spits out:
> 		Configuration server couldn't be contacted: CORBA error:
> 		IDL:omg.org/CORBA/BAD_OPERATION:1.0
>
> the solution, then is to simply killall gconfd-1.
>
> however, how can gconfd-1 be prevented from starting in the first place?
> every time i load up galeon, for example, won't gconfd-1 start? if i
> start gconfd-2 first, will that prevent gconfd-1 from loading? will this
> cause the gnome1 programs to fail in a similar fashion at some point?

Nope.  If you have the latest versions of gconf and gconf2 installed,
then gconfd-2 will be used instead of gconfd-1.  This solves the
problem.  gconfd-2 is backwards compatible.

> also: i know i'm not the only person who has come across this hurdle.
> perhaps an entry into the gnome2 FAQ would be useful? i'd be happy to
> submit a patch for this purpose, but i wanted to check before i bounced
> into a project i haven't been involved with before.

There has been one other person that reported gconfd-1 problems.  If you
submit a patch, I'll commit it.

> and also, FWIW, under question 7 of the gnome2 faq, "where can i get
> more themes for gnome 2.0," Sunshine in a Bag no longer exists.

Yeah, when I get back from vacation, I'll redo the theme questions.  I
found a cool icon site that I want to add.

Joe