Date:      23 Nov 2002 01:37:15 +0200
From:      Ville =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Skytt=E4?= <scop@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tomas Novak <tnovak@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-cvsweb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Missing files in the list

On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 18:35, Tomas Novak wrote:

> Sometimes (probably if there is too many files in the repository) some files
> are not listed by cvsweb. So I guess there is a problem with passing all the
> filenames as arguments to rlog. I have tried to fix it using xargs and it
> works well. Unfortunately this solution needs a tempfile.
>
> Patch follows.
> 						TNT
>
> PS: At first I have tried it on RedHat Linux 6.2 running Apache 1.3.14,
>     but now on RH 8.0 with Apache 2.0.40 it seems OK (without my patch).
>     So sorry if the problem is somewhere else...

Thanks for the patch, Tomas.  Do you have an environment where the bug
is reproducible?  I tried it out (also with RH8 and Apache 2.0.40) by
adding some 5000'ish files to a CVS dir, but didn't see the problem you
described.  Instead I got an error in my Apache error log:

   Can't exec "/usr/bin/rlog": Argument list too long

...as well as a huge error page in my browser.  If you do have a test
environment which reproduces the bug, could you first try if commenting
out the "open(STDERR, '>/dev/null')" lines near your patch makes
something appear in the error log?

I think the length of the argument list needs addressing anyway, I'll
think a bit if I can come up with a non-temp-file solution to this
(others welcome too).  If not, I'll most likely apply your patch after a
closer look.  Oh, and this will go into the development branch (CVS
HEAD).

Cheers,
--
\/ille Skyttä