Date:      18 Jan 2003 15:59:16 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Martin Klaffenboeck <martin.klaffenboeck@gmx.at>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: balsa2 fails, marcusmerge

--=-1ej6WAv3ucV999z3O/mB

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 15:40, Martin Klaffenboeck wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I tryed to use portupgrade -r pkg-config to update all the ports. =20
> Could there be something wrong, when I try to use portupgrade -fr=20
> pkg-config there are also gnome1 ports rebuilt.  I was breaking the=20
> procedure and so I think there could be something wrong with gnome1,=20
> gnome2 ...

No, this is expected.  However, by this point, you shouldn't have any
ports on your system that would overwrite the GNOME 2 desktop.

>=20
> Is the USE_GNOMENG really correct for gnome1 or gnome2 installation? =20
> It would be nice to have a setting like USE_GNOME_VER=3D  2 or=20
> USE_GNOME_VER=3D 1 in my /etc/make.conf so that there cannot be something=
=20
> wrong in the installation.  If I use USE_GNOME_VER=3D 2  every port which=
=20
> must not be installed, sould not get installed anymore, even if it is a=20
> dependency.

That's the idea.  I just have so much in my backlog, I haven't started
on the GNOME 2 additions to bsd.gnomeng.mk.  However, my thughts are to
create WANT macros like:

WANT_GNOME_DESKTOP=3D	1
WANT_GNOME_DESKTOP=3D	2

Ports, like gaim, can set WANT_GNOME_DESKTOP=3D1, then check to see if the
user has the GNOME 1 desktop, if they do, the gaim applet will be
built.  If not, then the gaim application will be built.  Conversely,
ports like gimp-devel would set WANT_GNOME_DESKTOP=3D2, and do a similar
check.

For ports like file_applet_menu, a macro would exist like
USE_GNOME_DESKTOP=3D1.  If the GNOME 1 desktop isn't present, the port
would refuse to build.  I had even rolled the thought around in my head
for auto-creating a PRE-INSTALL script if one didn't already exist, that
would enforce this when installing packages as well.  Though this may
just be unreasonable.=20

>=20
> After portupgrade -r pkg-config:
>=20
> Now balsa2 doesn't show icons in the toolbar.  I tryed to reinstall,=20
> but it fails on the check for libgnomeprint.  Maybe there is something=20
> wrong in the configure script?  I think, you can reproduce this.

There are known issues with libgnomeprint 2.2 and 2.0.  GNOME 2.2 may
ship with both.  In the meantime, the balsa2 from
http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/freeze/ should support both.

>=20
> galeon2 gives me now a core dump, it was running correct without the=20
> marcus ports.  I'm now trying on rebuild this port.  I'll tell you when=20
> it's finished.

This, like I said, may be a known problem.  It used to happen for me
with galeon-1.3.0 back in early gtk-2.1.

>=20
> The marcusmerge script has a wrong carracter in the -u section.  There=20
> seems to be a cvz instead of cvs - gives surely a 'command not found'=20
> message.

How did that happen?  I'll fix it right away, thanks.

Joe

>=20
> Ok, that are my first messages on the gnome-2.2 ports.  I'll hang on=20
> and find something more.
>=20
> Martin
--=20