Date:      06 May 2003 04:59:53 -0500
From:      "Benjamin F. Burke" <ben@dubuque365.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bridge config in /etc/rc (patch)

On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 02:50, Doug Barton wrote:
> True, but that's another step down the road of "How do we deal with the
> issue of $BIGNUM conf options in a way that users can handle?" Our current
> solution for that is to include them all in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, and
> mostly in rc.conf.5. I'm not sure that solution scales, but I'm equally
> uncomfortable with the idea of UNdocumented options.

I wonder how many experienced freebsd users really dislike having to
use the current rc.conf setup. If it ain't broke...

But if this is about ease of use for the less-experienced, why not keep
putting all the options in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, and create a
sysinstall-like interface to them that new users can run? Actually, why
not add rc.conf-editing functionality to sysinstall? The only
prerequisites I can think of for this are a more parseable
option-grouping syntax for rc.conf and a database of ultra-friendly
option descriptions, which the man page already has a good start on.

If you think it's a good idea, I'd be happy to take a crack at a
prototype.

Cheers,
Ben Burke