Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 1995 20:44:38 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Cc:        core@freefall.cdrom.com, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: E-mail/phone support for FreeBSD

> On Wed, 19 Apr 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> >
> > Support Mgr[10]:			vacant (possibly PAY someone)
> [...]
> > [10]. Handles technical support questions over the phone and in email.
> >       Makes sure that customer complaints are dealt with in a timely
> >       fashion.  Since this is a horrible job, we probably should pay someon
> >       to do it as soon as that's possible.
>
>     One person to handle worldwide phone and e-mail support for
> FreeBSD in a timely fashion?  You must be joking.  If you're not, then
> FreeBSD's user base is a lot smaller than I thought.  I like the idea,
> but I can't see hiring one person as being an effective solution.

They would do for a start. I think you miscalculate the percentage of
user base that actually calls for tech support.  Linux is huge, and we
only get between 30 and 40 calls a day..  One person full-time can
easily handle that and we're nowhere near as big as Linux.  This goes
double if they also put some time into implementing better mail
robots, an answers-by-FAX system, a more usable WWW based FAQ, etc.

					Jordan