Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 2004 07:55:30 -0600
From:      Chris Miller <chrislist@bariatricsupportcenter.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB mouse and keyboard problems with 5.2.1-Release

I have a Toshiba P25-609 that I am running 5.2.1-Release on.  I normally
use this computer as a portable desktop and always have a USB mouse
plugged into it.  As long as the mouse is plugged in when I boot it
works great, but if I unplug it while the system is running and then
plug it back in again it stops working. (Or if it is unplugged when I
boot and then plug it in after the system is up it doesn't work.)

I have tried 3 different mice (all optical) and each of them behaves the
same.  I assume that there is just something stupid that I am missing to
make it work, but for the life of me I can't figure it out.  If I plug
it in while the system is running the tracking LED won't even come on.

I have also tried a usb keyboard and it doesn't work even if it is
plugged in while booting.  (It works during the bios stage, and in the
beastie menu, but after the system is up it stops working. I can turn
the numlock light and caps light on after FreeBSD is up and running, but
I can't use it to type in a terminal.  (The keyboard works fine in both
Windows and Linux on this same computer so I know it isn't a junk
keyboard.)

The track pad also doesn't work at all.  (In windows it is listed as an
ALPS on a PS/2 port.  It also works fine in Linux)

I have searched through a ton of archives and a ton of google pages, but
can't seem to find anyone with my same situation.  Most just don't work
at all (like my keyboard), but nobody seems to have a mouse that works
till they unplug it and then plug it back in.

If anyone can give me some pointers I would really appreciate it.

I'm not sure what information you need from me, but just ask and I will
supply whatever information you may need.

I don't know if it matters, but this is a P4 with Hyper Threading
machine using a kernel compiled for SMP.

Parts of the kernel config that I assume are relative to this problem:
device          atkbdc          # AT keyboard controller
device          atkbd           # AT keyboard
device          psm             # PS/2 mouse
# USB support
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
#device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device          ugen            # Generic
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
device          ulpt            # Printer
device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus
and da
device          ums             # Mouse
device          urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
device          uscanner        # Scanners
# USB Ethernet, requires mii
device          aue             # ADMtek USB ethernet
device          axe             # ASIX Electronics USB ethernet
device          cue             # CATC USB ethernet
device          kue             # Kawasaki LSI USB ethernet

Relative parts of rc.conf:
usbd_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
moused_type="auto"
moused_port="/dev/psm0"

I should point out that the device psm0 doesn't exist in /dev.  I'm not
sure if that is something that should be dynamically created like ums0
or if it is something that I am supposed to create myself.  If I'm
supposed to create it manually I would really appreciate somebody
telling me how to properly create it.  I have also changed it to say
moused_port="/dev/ums0" in rc.conf but that doesn't seem to help the usb
mouse work either.  It appears to me as if the usb daemon isn't creating
the device when it is plugged in.

Doing a ps -ax | grep usb I get.
   47  ??  DL     0:00.00  (usb0)
   48  ??  DL     0:00.00  (usbtask)
   49  ??  DL     0:00.00  (usb1)
   50  ??  DL     0:00.00  (usb2)
   51  ??  DL     0:00.00  (usb3)
  385  ??  Ss     0:00.00 /usr/sbin/usbd

So it appears to me that the daemon is running properly, but what do I
know :)

Thanks,
Chris Miller