Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:32:47 +0100
From:      M.Santhoff@t-online.de (Marc Santhoff)
To:        "FreeBSD stable (Liste)" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: the best graphicscard for FreeBSD

Am Mo, den 29.11.2004 schrieb Michael Nottebrock um 22:07:
> Paulo wrote:
>
> > You are forgetting that there are many people that really need fast 3D
> > graphics. In the place I work there are people working on computer
> > animation, 3D models visualization on linux, solaris and freebsd.
>
> I wonder what kind of applications they would use on FreeBSD for such tasks.
> Custom developed? And if so, why on FreeBSD, which really isn't a logical
> choice for a 3D graphics workstation platform?

There are several modelling tools e.g. for povray out in the wide world.
Another example of 3D advantage is CAD in general, architectural
modellers (don't know names either, but there were more than ten approx.
2 years ago) and programs like varicad/linux for mechanical design. I
can imagine several ports would benefit (candidates may be: astk,
calculix, pythoncad to name only a few).

I was always happy with 4.x having support for 3D acceleration even in
the linux emulation. I'm still waiting for the native 3D mechanical CAD
program ... ;)

And the second part of your question: think of povray-mpi for
distributed computation, very good reason for having rock stable systems
with the power to serve. Another reason is not to use windows and not to
fiddle with the peculiar details of several different linux
distributions (besides grasping the right libraries for the emulation).

Most of the other reasons for FreeBSD are well known to anyone using it.

Marc