Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:49:52 +0000
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        Gerard Meijer <gmeijer@palmweb.nl>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: live mirroring

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 10:22 +0100, Gerard Meijer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question. I want to set-up a site on 3 identical FreeBSD servers, using Round Robin to distribute the load.
>
> The site will be running some .cgi and .php scripts and when those scripts make changes to the configuration files of the sites, they need to be spread automatically to the other two servers. Also when files are uploaded to one server, I need them to automatically upload to the other servers to.
>
> What is the best program to do this? Or am I looking at it the wrong way and should I do it different?

Mirroring is one approach, but here's another:

One of the servers holds the data and nfs exports it to the other two.
The webroot is on the mounted nfs filesystem. This also eliminates
potential data synchronisation problems if you have different
filesystems having overlapping/incompatible changes made to them. It
lets you invest in one really resilient storage system instead of three
possibly inferior ones.

Peter.