Date:      Tue, 08 Nov 2005 20:04:40 -0800
From:      Frank Jahnke <jahnke@fmjassoc.com>
To:        Eric Schuele <e.schuele@computer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firefox + acroread7

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 21:32 +0000, Eric Schuele wrote:

> Yes!  That's the problem exactly.  In fact I was getting the 'undefined
> symbol' error up until I changed the libmap.conf to point to where the
> nppdf.so resides.  At that point the error went away and the plugin was
> available in the about:plugins dialog.  However, the pdf fails to load.
>
> Is there in fact no known workaround?  Maybe an older version?

The only one that I am aware of is intentionally to put the wrong
directories in libmap.conf for the Adobe Reader, or remove the plugin
entirely.  Then you can at least choose the application that opens the
PDF, at least in Gnome.  That's a good working definition for a kludge,
but I know of no others at the moment.

You could of course use a different PDF reader, but honestly I like the
Adobe Reader the best.  Evince is just too slow to be useful, and the
others just feel klunky to me.

Frank