Date:      Mon, 08 May 2006 22:23:26 +0200
From:      Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sideris Michael <msid@daemons.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports structure and improvement suggestions

--=-t6NwGHTn7/KPRxOvB3sM

Sideris Michael p=ED=B9e v po 08. 05. 2006 v 23:09 +0300:

> Edit its Makefile defining the KNOBS you want

You should never manually edit any files under /usr/ports

> install with its 5 KNOBS, is actually 10 ports with 10 KNOBS. So what? We=
ll, you have to visit 10
> different port directories, after you find their location, go through 10 =
Makefiles to discover which
> of these ports can be configured by adding KNOBS to /etc/make.conf or by =
using the OPTIONS
> framework. And this is somewgar a mild case. There are ports with more th=
an 20 dependencies and over
> 50 KNOBS.

make config-recursive

> Now, let's consider that somebody knows all these, which are not mentione=
d in that clear  way
> through the handbook. He will need 2-5 minutes to configure his ports. Le=
t me not talk about the
> average or new user.=20

I will not let you. Average or new user does not need to tune any ports.
He's satisfied with the defaults.

> modify the existing Makefiles to include the OPTIONS framework=20

That is the goal. Please submit patches whenever you hit the old style
Makefile.

> Also, it would be nice to include tools like portupgrade, not
> portupgrade, in the base system.=20

Yes, it would be nice.  You're going to write it?  It must be in shell
or in C.  Expecting patches.

> I would like to hear your ideas and comments on the things I mentioned ab=
ove.

The conclusion is: the code will not write by itself.

> One last thing. Without any intention to advertise anything, I have creat=
ing a shell script, that
> given a port name as an argument it can find, or at least try to find, re=
cursively all the
> dependencies of this port along with the KNOBS associated with each port =
and display which of these
> ports are configured through the OPTIONS framework. You can fetch it from
> http://black.daemons.gr/msid/knoby and modify it to suit your needs. Than=
ks in advance.

Nice.

It should not be necessary once we have OPTIONS everywhere, but, what
about a script that would emulate Gentoo's emerge -pv ? That would rock.

--=20
Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
              <pav@FreeBSD.org>

On real UNIX, /usr/bin/more prints -More-.

--=-t6NwGHTn7/KPRxOvB3sM
	=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_podepsan=E1?= =?iso-8859-2?Q?_=E8=E1st?=
	=?ISO-8859-1?Q?_zpr=E1vy?=

--=-t6NwGHTn7/KPRxOvB3sM--