Date:      Tue, 03 Jan 1995 13:38:39 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr (Ollivier ROBERT)
Cc:        wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New adduser script

> But it is able to manage sendmail aliases, sendmail userdb entries, finds
> uid holes, multiple groups, and so on. I've rewritten the configuration
> routine and will add an option to insert /etc/uucp/sys entries for UUCP sites

Can it handle sites like freefall, where different groups of people
get assigned to the end of some range?  (e.g hackers get the next 6xx
uid, WC staff get 2xxx, archive maintainers get 1xxx, etc).

If so, *I* would sure use it! :-) Creating accounts on freefall now is
kind of a pain in the butt.  You need to find the next free uid in the
600 range (for 99% of new users, anyway), then create the account,
then make a corresponding group id, then create the REAL home dir in
/a, then chown it to <user>.<user>, then create a symlink to it in
/home.

I'll agree that it's probably something of a special case, but it's not
a bad model, either.

					Jordan