Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 1999 03:54:49 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
Cc:        Michael Doyle <relyod@co-operation-ireland.ie>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Advocacy

> pretty for newbies with a lot of eye-catching demo stuff. We will
> definitely re-visit this issue. I'm going to be in Concord, CA the 7-8-9
> to visit with Jordan and the folks from WC. We'll talak about this &
> many other things!

Actually, I don't think that talking about this will really accomplish
much of anything since it's already something which has been talked
about for years.  The FreeBSD demo CD or a counterpart to Slackware's
"zipslack" and many similar proposals are one of those cometary topics
which come swooshing through -hacker once a year or so, each time
generating a lot of "yeah!  we really need a ... and it should ... and
have a menu which lets you pick ... and ask ..." sorts of comments but
absolutely nothing in the way of an actual "product."

The reason this generally is is that nobody involved in such
discussions to date have also had the spare time and/or technical
wizardry to go play interesting vn device games or otherwise figure
out where to get a root fs and potentially some swap space from, along
with potentially other interesting bits, since booting FreeBSD becomes
a little less than straight-forward once you've no handy ufs
filesystem lying around.

I've examined this one quite a bit myself and see a number of possible
approaches to making a workable "zipbsd" or FreeBSD all singing all
dancing demo/install CD, but they all fall well into the category of
"if you know enough to actually implement any of these suggestions,
they'll be already obvious to you and you'll probably have different
ideas on how to implement them anyway" tasks.

In short, for a thousand and one good suggestions on what such a
product should do, see the mailing list archives.  For someone
with the time and inclination to actually make this a reality,
scan the far horizon because I haven't seen that person yet. :-)

- Jordan