Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 17:50:43 -0400
From:      Rick Siple <RickSiple@mpainc.com>
Subject:   xdm and vtys

	I have noticed some odd behavior from XDM that I am hoping
someone can enlighten me on.  I realize X related question should go to
the X mailing lists but I thought this might relate to FreeBSD's VTYs.
	I moved the xdm command from /etc/rc.local to
/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d, for no good reason other than it seemed to be the
logical place to start all X related services.  Anyway, when started
from here xdm seems to start before the VTY manager and grab the
console.  In this case the Alt-function and Ctrl-Alt-Function key combos
don't work, they just beep.  More importantly though the keyboard does
not work, you can not type into the xdm login window.  This was easily
fixed with a five second delay in the sh script that starts xdm so no
big deal, just interested in what is actually going on.
	Also I configured FreeBSD/xdm to start two X sessions, one on
vty2 and one on vty3.  (Did the usual, turned off vty2 in /etc/ttys,
added :1 to the Xservers file.)  The first time I tried this I edited
ttys, sent and HUP to init, edited Xservers and sent a HUP to xdm and
all worked well, both X session were fine.  On restart though, I got a
behavior similar to when xdm starts before the vty manager (or whatever
is happening in the first case)  Beeps when attempting to switch vtys
and at the xdm login with no keyboard.
	If anyone can shed an light on this behavior and specifically
how to get more than one X session started with xdm, I would appreciate
it.