Date:      Wed, 03 Dec 1997 15:55:02 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What can we do about Java?

> I think it's high time FreeBSD become one of the leading Java runtime
> and development platforms.  Our OS is already positioned quite well in

Easier said than done - this requires someone who can actively
maintain the Java port, and Jeff Hsu said back in the 1.0.2 days that
he was essentially sidelined now with too much work elsewhere to do
JVM ports anymore (which also need to be tweaked and fixed as the
various Java developers report in with problems) and I don't know of
anyone who's managed to fill his shoes since.  It also takes a
willingness to do paperwork and deal with licensing issues since Sun
requires that of whomever's getting the Java source code to do the
work.

> I've got the enthusiasm (if not the talent), and I want to help.  What
> can I do? What can *we* do?

Well, you could learn how to port the Java development environment
from scratch and keep our support up to date, that would be one really
necessary prerequisite step dealt with.

					Jordan