Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 2008 04:32:03 -0400
From:      Martes G Wigglesworth <martes@mgwigglesworth.com>
To:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Use lagg(4) or Use Layer-4 Load Balancing?

Greetings all.

I have been attempting to research what  I have been informed is
actually accomplished with layer-4 load balancing.  I have seen many
articles and reviews that indicate that lagg(4) will accomplish the
teaming of multiple internet access sorces into a single logical pipe,
however, I have tried this using a dumb switch two nic interfaces and
this simply is not the case.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to go about management of such a
problem with reference to increasing bandwidth using multiple smaller
sources to get the summation of all the sources as a logical backbone?

As I said originally, I have now been informed that I would need a
layer-4 solution, where lacp, and the lagg(4) driver work at the data
link layer, hence the inclusion of a switch in virtually all examples
that I have seen.

I also would like to know why there is a "loadbalance" and "roundrobin"
mode for the interface when there is neither an increase in bandwidth,
nor, at least in loadbalance mode, any type of automatic aggretion of
downed links.  I am very new  to this type of manipulation of using
lagg, however, from my experience with it, there seems to be no real
benefit to having the two modes listed above.  They really seem to do
nothing more than just spitt out the packets in a different way than
fail-over and lacp, however, lacp would afford for all links to be used
while using a 802.3ab compliant layer-2 device, so again, what exactly
is the point of "roundrobin" and "loadbalance" when lacp should use all
interfaces anyhow, and loadbalance doesn't even actually do what its
name says?

I am new and may not have enough cool equipment around, however, aside
from using the fail-over mode for redundancy, and lacp on a supported
switch, then if lagg(4) could really combine multiple sources into one
for use as a larger overall backbone, then I should be able to get
doulbed bandwidth using two separate ports on an unmanaged switch using
some option on the lagg(4) driver, which is not the cast.(if this is
wrong I would be happy to get the correct information, however I have a
few network engineer references that say that you cannot do anything
more than layer-2 lacp with appropriate equipment to create an
isp-supported trunk)  Even in the on-lamp interview the 7.0 developer
implies that you can do what I am attempting to research however, it is
not possible at layer 2 without an end-point.

What is the real answer, and where should I look for further correct
information about how to resolve this issue? (Create larger bandwidth
backbone with smaller links summed together with some load balancing
facility on freebsd)

--
Martes G Wigglesworth <martes@mgwigglesworth.com>
M.G.Wigglesworth,LLC