Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 12:47:51 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible change to first page on site

> <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/~nik/>; is a possible change to the front page
> of the site (yes, I know the image links are broken).

One criticism I've heard on the new site, even though people like it
better than the old, is that there's too much stuff there now for the
beginner to get lost in.  I think it's a fair point to say that most
newbies will hand at the home page first whereas most veterans will be
using more directed URLs to various resources they already know to be
there.  Given that, we should probably target the home page more at
the newbie than we do.  This means larger, starburst style thingies
that have labels like: "How do I install it?"  "Latest news!" and
"Getting help".  In other words, if every hacker who first looks at it
throws up in sheer disgust, the new design will be a total success! :-)

- Jordan