Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 2009 12:36:10 -0500
From:      Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop.

--=-va39BToTPTcpGDuKotqf

On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 10:31 +0200, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> Rather infrequently but still regularly I get a strange problem with X
> server. It doesn't redraw screen, it doesn't take keyboard input, I can
> only very slowly move (hw) mouse pointer on the screen, but the clicks
> do not go through. I can't switch to console VT, but I can shutdown the
> system using power button. During shutdown the system reports a stuck
> (unkillable) process.
>=20
> This is what I found in Xorg.0.log.old after reboot after all the
> "normal" messages.
>=20
> Changing OV0_BASE_ADDR from 0xd8000000 to 0xdd400000

So, this is an offset into the framebuffer for overlay video.  I'm not
sure if it is related or not.  Is video a trigger for the issue?

> [mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop.
> [mi] mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.
> [mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop.
> [mi] mieqEnequeue: out-of-order valuator event; dropping.
> [... ad infinitum...]

This generally means that we have crashed the GPU and it is no longer
processing the command stream.  You might want to update the ati driver
to 6.12.1 and see if that helps.  It should be safe to update only that
driver if you like.

robert.

> Because there are no timestamps I am not sure when "Changing
> OV0_BASE_ADDR" message happened relative to the "[mi]" messages.
>=20
> Environment:
> stable/7 i386 r189898
> xorg-server-1.5.3_5,1
> xf86-video-ati-6.11.0
> RADEON(0): Chipset: "ATI Radeon 9250 5960 (AGP)" (ChipID =3D 0x5960)
>=20
> I can provide full xorg.conf, Xorg.0.log and any other info that might
> be relevant.
>=20
--=20
Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>