Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 2009 13:38:58 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dbus, hal over xdmcp?

--=-r9AQEmuQizPB1XxW5UEi

On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 12:27 +0100, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> I've read the dbus and hald man pages but I'm still confused.
>=20
> In a configuration where xserver connects to clients via XDMCP
> where do I need to run dbus and hald, or more specifically, on what
> computer do I need to have in /etc/rc.conf these two lines:=20
>=20
> dbus_enable=3D"YES"
> hald_enable=3D"YES"
>=20
>=20
> a. only on the machine which runs xserver?
> b. only on the machine which runs the clients?
> c. on both the xserver and clients machines?
>=20
> I've tried various configurations, but cannot still cannot
> get a web browser to run, only endless dbus-launch and dbus-daemon
> processes.
>=20
> I've looked at man pages for dbus-launch(1), dbus-daemon(1), hald(8),
> and at freedesktop.org/software/dbus, but cannot find the answer.

These daemons need to run on the machine with the working mouse and
keyboard.  So, you want them on the machine at which you're sitting.
But that's only half of the battle.  You also need to start up a
dbus-enabled session.  For example, something like this in .xinitrc:

dbus-session --exist-with-session fvwm

That's very simplistic, but hopefully it give you enough of a clue to
implement this in your XDMCP setup.

Joe

--=20

--=-r9AQEmuQizPB1XxW5UEi