Date:      Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:34:56 -0500
From:      Allen <SlackWareWolf@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: A theory on why microsoft makes such crappy stuff after all these years

On Sat, 2009-12-12 at 04:44 -0800, Randi Harper wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 3:42 AM, Aryeh M. Friedman
> <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Microsoft making crappy products is really a conspiracy.   The actually know
> > how to make good stuff but don't for the following reasons (only the first
> > on is a new observation likely):
> >
> >   * If they didn't have any bugs then people would think the program was
> > counterfeit
> >   * Force people to upgrade hardware and software more often
> >   * Forcing a person to be certified expert to just know how to save
> > documents
>

> Unproductive. Seriously? You want to talk about how Microsoft sucks?
> Nothing you've said is original or even entertaining.
>
> 1.) What the hell? Are you smoking something? I don't even know how to
> respond to that other than: clearly you think FreeBSD has no bugs.
> Awesome.

Most people who helped invent Unix / Linux / BSD / TCP/IP, smoked
something. Berkeley is only known for two products ;)

> 2.) Yeah. Because I can totally run KDE 4 on my AMD K6-2. mysql with
> sizable databases runs like a fiend on 256MB of RAM. With more complex
> software comes the need for better hardware. Next you're going to say
> that the gaming industry is a conspiracy. We should have just stuck
> with DOOM because everything else requires a better video card.

The original DooM did require hardware upgrades. And yes, we should have
stuck there. I just got done playing DooM2 and it's still a better game
than most out there. I'm picky, but if it's not Unreal Tournament, DooM,
Quake, or Wolfenstein, I probably don't play it. Super Tux is the only
real exception.

> 3.) Hint: It's the save option in the file menu. In vi, it's :w. Which
> of these is less intuitive?

Gvim has that.

> Did you just discover UNIX or something? Power to you for your
> enthusiasm, but bashing other operating systems with uninformed
> opinions just makes you look dumb.

I'll save his joke:

The day Microsoft stops making products that suck is the day they start
making Vacuums ;)