Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 2009 19:36:37 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
To:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   obex transfer speeds

--0-272804268-1260732731=:793

Hi,

While obexapp is the subject, I wonder what kind of transfer speeds people
get?  Normally I use obexapp to copy files to and from my phone but they
are not much big files and I've never bothered with speed tests.. I have
been working some long hours at a tedious job lately and thought I would
listen to some music off my phone.

However, transferring tracks is tedious. I have calculated (see attached
program) that I'm getting about 12-15 kbytes/second by using windows
mobile bluetooth explorer in suck mode (navigate to my laptop, then copy
and paste the directory to the sd card)

using obexapp to push files seemed to go faster, about 15-20 kbytes/second
initially but obexapp doesn't handle sending complete directories so I had
to write a wrapper script and then when I left this going overnight it
only transferred about 15 tracks (I think a resource leak in the phone,
which needed a reboot afterwards)

So, my question is what kind of speeds should we normally expect with
OBEX?  I thought bluetooth should be faster than that but I don't really
know what version my phone has (laptop has Broadcom BCM2045B 2.0+EDR and
specs I found on the web says HTC Elf has 2.0 but I don't know about EDR)
and I only have a single computer so while a speed test would be possible
with two dongles, there could be interference in the stack. Has anybody
done anything like that in the past?

I read some comments previously on the list and have raised the MTU to
8192 bytes as suggested for an older obexapp but that hasn't improved the
speed much. Any other ideas?

regards,
iain
--0-272804268-1260732731=:793

I2luY2x1ZGUgPGJsdWV0b290aC5oPg0KI2luY2x1ZGUgPGVyci5oPg0KI2lu
Y2x1ZGUgPHN0ZGlvLmg+DQojaW5jbHVkZSA8c3RkbGliLmg+DQojaW5jbHVk
ZSA8dW5pc3RkLmg+DQoNCmNvbnN0IGNoYXIgKmRldiA9ICJ1YnQwIjsNCg0K
aW50DQptYWluKGludCBhYywgY2hhciAqYXZbXSkNCnsNCglzdHJ1Y3QgYnRf
ZGV2aW5mbyBkaTsNCgl1aW50MzJfdCBjLCByLCBzLCBkciwgZHM7DQoNCglp
ZiAoYWMgPiAxKSB7DQoJCWRldiA9IGF2WzFdOw0KCQlhYy0tOw0KCQlhdisr
Ow0KCX0NCg0KCWlmIChhYyA+IDEpIHsNCgkJZnByaW50ZihzdGRlcnIsICJ1
c2FnZTogJXMgW2RldmljZV0iLCBnZXRwcm9nbmFtZSgpKTsNCgkJZXhpdChF
WElUX0ZBSUxVUkUpOw0KCX0NCg0KCWMgPSAwOw0KCXIgPSAwOw0KCXMgPSAw
Ow0KDQoJZm9yICg7Oykgew0KCQlpZiAoYnRfZGV2aW5mbyhkZXYsICZkaSkg
PT0gLTEpDQoJCQllcnIoRVhJVF9GQUlMVVJFLCAiJXMiLCBkZXYpOw0KDQoJ
CWlmIChjKysgPT0gMCkgew0KCQkJciA9IGRpLmJ5dGVzX3JlY3Y7DQoJCQlz
ID0gZGkuYnl0ZXNfc2VudDsNCgkJfQ0KDQoJCWRyID0gZGkuYnl0ZXNfcmVj
diAtIHI7DQoJCXIgPSBkaS5ieXRlc19yZWN2Ow0KDQoJCWRzID0gZGkuYnl0
ZXNfc2VudCAtIHM7DQoJCXMgPSBkaS5ieXRlc19zZW50Ow0KDQoJCWZwcmlu
dGYoc3Rkb3V0LCAiXHIldSByZWN2LCAldSBzZW50ICAgICIsIGRyLCBkcyk7
DQoNCgkJZmZsdXNoKHN0ZG91dCk7DQoJCXNsZWVwKDEpOw0KCX0NCg0KCWV4
aXQoRVhJVF9TVUNDRVNTKTsNCn0NCg==

--0-272804268-1260732731=:793--