Date:      Sun, 29 Jun 2014 17:24:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PXE boot using Grub bootloader fails at mountroot; no PXE devs.

Beeblebrox wrote:
> >> when trying to use Grub the client now reboots at the end of
> >> kernel
>
> Sooo, I got curious and compiled a full debug kernel that included
> {options
> BOOTP, options BOOTP_NFSROOT} knobs. From the grub menu, without
> changing
> any grub.cfg lines (as previously posted) - hit go and ... YEAH BABY!
> System
> boots and mounts to the exported 11-current_amd64 NFS root.
>
> Two observations.
> * The boot process is a little slow and shows a number of error
> messages.
> Hangs for a while before moving on to the final good result. Can
> share if
> anyone needs the output (advise how to capture for PXE-boot)
> * My custom kernel config file obviously is missing something(s). How
> can I
> find what they may be? For example I normally have {NFSD, NFSLOCKD}
> loaded
> as modules for if/when I need them, and a part of MYKERNEL - could
> this be a
> cause?

Well NFSD is only used if you start the nfsd daemon/server. NFSLOCKD
(rpc.lockd, rpc.statd) will get used if you start either of those daemons.
For NFSv3 mounts, I'd suggest the nolockd option, unless you have multiple
clients concurrently doing byte range locking on the same file. (With
"nolockd" option on the mounts, you shouldn't need to run rpc.lockd, rpc.statd
and that implies NFSLOCKD shouldn't be needed, too.)

Btw, there is BOOTP_DEBUG stuff in bootp_subr.c. If your debug kernel didn't
include that option, trying it might tell you where it breaks?

rick