Date:      Tue, 03 Mar 1998 00:04:28 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se (Mikael Karpberg), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-RELEASE?

In message <199803022250.RAA14700@dyson.iquest.net>, "John S. Dyson" writes:

>To make the kernel have fine-grained locking, it will be approx 6-12 man
>mos.  These changes need to be made by people who are very knowledgeable abou
>the entire kernel.  These people are in great demand, and that would push 3.0
> out
>into 1999.

I doubt even that would be possible, unless somebody actually goes and
offers a salary to about 5 or 6 of us heavy-duty people to do just this.

I must say, that I belong to the school where we think that it may not
actually pay off to go that far.  I'm pretty sure that we would get
a long way with a much more narrow scope of locks:

 * One lock for each device driver.  To avoid rewriting the existing
   drivers, this could be done entirely in the generic code, with
   the few obvious exceptions of pty and other incestous pseudo-drivers.

 * One lock for the entire network stack

 * One lock per mountpoint

 * One lock for "the rest" (the smoking remains of our current giant
   lock.

But since this is a pretty likely step on the way, it would be easy
to determine if further performance is derived from going further,
so I'm not standing on my soapbox arguing about this.

>Mikael Karpberg said:
>> Oh well... I'm rambling as usual. Any comments?

You're rambling some perfectly valid points as usual :-)

We're at the point where it would really be nice to be able to go tell
the CEO "off to the bank you go, borrow some money for R&D, you may
get them back in increased revenue later.  We'll need $1M over the
year.  Small unmarked used notes would be best."

Sponsors most welcome.

"Drink MONO-tonic, it goes down but it will NEVER come back up!"