Date:      Fri, 19 Aug 2011 13:30:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@tutopia.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve

First of all, thanks to Vadim for his initial post: it's=0Aevident he spend=
 a lot of time preparing it.=0A=0AI just want to give my 0.02$ to this disc=
ussion:=0A=0AFreeBSD 9.0 is a huge step in the right direction in many=0Awa=
ys. Perhaps what I like most is getting done with the=0Alast GNU toolchain =
and ZFS updates and maintaining the well=0Aknown stability and performance =
along with the new features.=0A=0AUnfortunately some necessary updates didn=
't make it in time,=0Ain particular pkgng and the X.Org drivers. The new in=
staller=0Ais promising but lately installing and configuring XOrg has=0Abec=
ome a nightmare so I find myself suggesting people to use=0APC-BSD instead.=
=0A=0ASome rather important changes that seem critical for the future=0Alik=
e ARM-EABI and a new toolchain seem to be lacking developers=0Aand perhaps =
are going on too slowly to expect them to work in=0Athe near future but, al=
l in all, I should mention that FreeBSD=0Ais still very influential and com=
petitive. I've seen posts not=0Atoo long ago where linux developers praise =
FreeBSD for keeping=0Athe development pace despite having a much smaller gr=
oup.=0A=0AWhat I think is that perhaps FreeBSD shouldn=B4t be expecting=0At=
o be a better linux than linux, simply because there is no=0Acompany relate=
d to any BSD in capacity to compete with, say,=0ARedhat. We still can do pr=
etty much everything linux does=0Awith a little extras, but we are a actual=
ly niche market and=0Ait actually hasn't worked bad at all for us. =0A=0ACo=
ncerning BSD sites moving to linux to reduce costs, as a=0Along time Yahoo =
user I have to say that doesn't seem to be=0Agoing very well for them. I am=
 pretty sure such a process=0Ais painful for them as it is for the end user=
.=0A=0AIMHO, we need to focus on the two fields where people expect=0AFreeB=
SD to shine:=0A=0A- Servers: performance has always been our strong point=
=0A=A0 but perhaps we should be focusing on ease of use. Ohh...=0A=A0 BTW, =
jails are awesome!=0A=0A- Embedded devices: FreeBSD's license is key here.=
=0A=0AI don't think the FreeBSD Foundation has been clueless at all=0Athoug=
h, coordinating efforts in a voluntary project like this=0A*is* tough. Some=
 people complain because we release too fast=0Abut some also complain becau=
se the release cycle is too long.=0AWe can't satisfy everyone and developme=
nt just goes on.=0A=0APedro.=0A